Breastfeeding Benefits for Moms
There is no doubt that breastfeeding is the best option for babies. It is the most wholesome and full nutritional substance available, designed specifically for babies. What many people don’t know is that breastfeeding is almost as beneficial for moms as it is for babies. There are a whole host of benefits that breastfeeding brings for the mom.
You might not realize it, and it might not be physically noticeable, but breastfeeding has enormous health benefits.
- Breastfeeding after birth helps the mother recover from childbirth faster. A hormone called oxytocin is released during breastfeeding, and it helps to get the uterus to return back to its regular size. Oxytocin also helps reduce postpartum bleeding.
- There have been studies to show that breastfeeding reduces the rate of breast and ovarian cancer further on in life.
- There is some evidence to suggest that breastfeeding may also reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and rheumatoid arthritis. This also includes high cholesterol and high blood pressure.
- With exclusive breastfeeding, the menstrual period is delayed. This helps extend the period between pregnancies, as breastfeeding can act as a natural contraceptive if it is exclusive, done both day and night and the baby is under six months old.
Breastfeeding causes the release of various hormones in the body. These are good hormones that help mothers feel love from the emotional and physical connection they are forming with their baby.
- Oxytocin: This hormone helps promote a strong bond and sense of love and attachment between mother and baby.
- Prolactin: Prolactin helps produce a nurturing and peaceful sensation which helps breastfeeding moms relax.
On top of the health benefits and the amazing hormones released when breastfeeding, there are other great benefits of breastfeeding:
- Feeding whenever and wherever on a whim – you don’t have to worry about packing bottles and formula. You just need you, your breasts and your baby!
- Breastfeeding at night is so much easier than having to get up to make and warm up bottles. You can catch up on some of that precious sleep.
- Breastmilk is free. You will save so much money not buying formula, and it only takes an additional 400 to 500 calories to make all the milk your baby will need in a day.
- You will be doing your bit for the environment – there are no formula cans to throw away and you won't be using additional water to wash bottles.
Through all the benefits a mother reaps from breastfeeding, possibly the most important one is being able to form the incredible bond that breastfeeding moms have with their little ones. It is also amazing to see how much babies go absolutely mad over breastmilk – that’s all you mom!